WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR FREE TAX HELP?
- Families earning up to $56,000 annually
- Individuals earning up to $30,000 annually
- Taxpayers who need to file amendments (Form 1040X or Form IL-1040-X) must call (312) 588-6900 to make an appointment during March or during a special summer session. Priority will be given to current-year returns during the regular tax season (February-April).
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR TAX HELP?
- Those who have income from rental property
- Those who filed bankruptcy in the year they wish to file
- Those that received Form 1099-A (Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property)
- There are also other, less common situations that are out of scope. If you are unsure whether or not Ladder Up can prepare your return, please leave a message at (312) 409-1555 with your tax situation and question or check Ladder Up’s website: http://www.goladderup.org/TAP
WHAT INFORMATION SHOULD I BRING TO A TAX SITE?
- Original Social Security card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for yourself, your spouse, and ALL other individuals listed on your tax return
- A valid form of photo identification (for you and for your spouse if you are filing a joint return)
- Bank routing and account numbers for your savings account, checking account, and/or prepaid card
- Verification of health insurance if purchased through the Marketplace (Form 1095-A)
- Copy of last year’s tax return, if available
- If Married Filing Jointly, BOTH spouses must be present to have the return prepared
Year-End Income Statements
- W-2 form for each job
- 1099-MISC or 1099-K for self-employment income, such as rideshare driving with Uber/Lyft
- 1099 forms for retirement, Social Security, unemployment, interest, dividends, stock sales, and miscellaneous income
Expenses and Credits
- Record of educational expenses you paid for children in grades K-12
- Tuition expenses paid for you or your children to attend college or university (Form 1098-T)
- Student loan interest paid (Form 1098-E)
- Childcare expenses: Provide name, address, and tax identification number (Employer Identification Number or Social Security Number)
- Homeowners: Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid
- Self-employed taxpayers: Job-related expenses
For taxpayers that need to visit a free tax site located outside of Chicago, please visit Ladder Up’s website to see information about service locations in Aurora, Chicago Heights, Cicero, Elgin, Evanston, Melrose Park, Plainfield, Springfield, and Waukegan: http://www.goladderup.org/locations
IF YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR FREE TAX HELP